Any dog or cat owner will tell you that shedding is all part of the pet-owning experience, and you should become accustomed to finding yards and yards of hair over every surface of your house and all your items of clothing. Most pet owners have accepted this fact and simply buy light colors that won’t show up pet hair and go over the carpets once a week.
Accepting cat hair is definitely a healthy way to deal with this phenomenon. However, knowing the difference between regular and excessive shedding is crucial. By ignoring excessive shedding you run the risk of worsening some serious health issues for your feline.
Certain breeds of cat shed more hair during the spring and the fall, although most of our furry friends shed all year round.
Excessive shedding could be an indication that something is wrong with your cat on a deeper level. Dietary problems are a common cause of over-shedding, with poor quality cat food affecting your cat’s digestive tract.
If your cat food does not contain the right balance of nutrients then it could start to develop dry skin, leading to dandruff and other skin ailments that could cause your cat to lose its luster quickly.
So what can you as a responsible cat owner do to curb your cat's excessive shedding? Are there cat foods that provide a cat with a balanced diet that it needs to avoid molting and dry, irritable skin? How much can premium, nutrient-rich cat food be looking to set you back in terms of price?
Well, don’t worry, cat fans, because we’ve got all the answers, with our list of the best cat foods for shedding and dermatological health, as recommended by cat owners and veterinary practitioners.
Then we have a buyer’s guide that will help you when shopping for your cat's next snack, finishing up with some frequently asked questions on the topic of general cat health.
OUR TOP PICK
First up, we have a cat food that comes highly rated by users and is one of Amazon’s choices when it comes to top-quality dry cat food.
Free from grains and gluten, this formula will accommodate cats of most breeds, with a high protein output that will keep skin, bones and muscles in peak condition - introducing Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Cat Food.
Blue Buffalo is made from high-quality organic ingredients, with a precision blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant kibble. There are no by-products in this cat food, no beef meals, corn, wheat, soy and no artificial preservatives or flavorings.
In short, by giving your cat the most natural ingredients, you are promoting its health without putting undue strain on its digestive system.
Blue Buffalo also contains plenty of protein and fiber that is necessary for muscle health and weight reduction, both of which contribute to the vitality of a cat’s skin and fur.
The vitamins, minerals and antioxidants will also promote your cat’s immune system, which will be very important if your cat is of advanced age or has any preexisting health concerns.
With a boosted immune system, you’ll rely less on supplements and medication to keep your cat healthy.
- The natural ingredients promote organic healing processes through your cat’s immune system.
- The increased protein and fiber make sure cats of all ages and breeds have the ultimate in muscle and skin health.
- The price of this cat food is very affordable and available in a wide variety of tasty flavors - you won’t find your cat complaining about this new tasty treat!
- Some of the chunkier pieces of this cat food might be hard for your pet to swallow.
Now for our second cat food, containing a fiber mix that is specifically designed to reduce hairball formation and improve the overall health of your cat’s coat, giving it volume and gloss.
This wet food has chicken as its primary ingredient, which will have your cat running eagerly to its food bowl every single feeding time - introducing Nutro Natural Wet Cat Food.
This completely organic cat food contains no artificial preservatives, with a one-of-a-kind fibrous whole grain blend that contains essential vitamins, minerals and other nutrients like vitamin E to encourage a healthy immune system.
This unique formula also possesses omega 6 fatty acids that will promote glowing skin and healthy, silky fur. Devoid of GMO ingredients, you can count on this cat food to deliver the very best for your four-legged friend.
- With a balanced nutritional diet, this is perfect for older cats who might have a more delicate digestive system and find dry cat foods a little harder on the stomach and bowels.
- Try giving this food to a cat that is already excessively shedding - you’ll notice an improvement within a few days.
- This cat food is specifically made to control hairballs, a behavior that is known to further damage your cat’s health.
- The price - this is one of the more expensive cat foods on this list and should be considered for cats with specific dietary requirements.
- Some users have complained of their cats having loose stools after eating, which could be the result of the cat's digestion adapting to a new cat food.
Okay, next up we have another cat food by the incredibly popular brand Blue Buffalo, this time with a mix targeted at hairball control.
The manufacturer boasts that it uses a natural holistic cat food recipe that provides your cat with essential amino acids and nutrients to promote good skin and fur quality - it’s the Blue Buffalo Hairball Control Dry Cat Food.
Made up of a complex blend of whole grains such as brown rice, barley and oats, the Hairball Control will guarantee that your cat is filled up on the fiber and carbohydrates it needs to keep hopping along garden walls and chasing cats all day long.
This combination of fiber and carbs is also very important for maintaining the energy levels of older or sicker cats.
The energy components are also complimented by the inclusion of fruit and vegetables such as whole carrots, sweet potatoes, parsley and cranberries that contain phytonutrients that help your cat stay fit and healthy, promoting sturdy bones and naturally oily skin.
- This product has de-boned chicken as the primary ingredient, so you can rest easy knowing that your cat is getting more than their fair share of natural animal proteins - no artificial by-products here!
- This cat food has been shown to control shedding and hairball consumption.
- The carbohydrates and fiber will ensure that your cat has enough energy to keep it going from morning until night.
- The recipe contains meal, which means that it doesn’t have the optimum nutrient quality like some of the other cat foods on this list.
- Some users have described this cat food as being particularly odorous.
Finally, we have a cat food that is made with only the purest ingredients found and killed in nature. It is made from wild fish and whole grains that will give your cat the kind of rich diet that you might expect its feline ancestors might have had in nature.
This cat food guarantees that your cat gets the very best out of its meals - introducing the AvoDerm Wet Cat Food.
This is chock full of premium-quality ingredients that will help boost your cat’s immune system, with natural fats and oils containing omega-3 and omega-6 that are essential for maintaining a lustrous, firm and glossy coat.
Along with a blend of avocado and raw avocado oil, the AvoDerm has got the delicate balance of nutrients and energy just right, providing solid building blocks for your cat’s skin and coat from the inside out.
- This is probably the closest thing to free-range cat food on this list - with the rich fish ingredients providing more than enough value when it comes to healthy digestion and immune system.
- Omega fats and avocados really add an element of luxury to your cat’s dinnertime - this is a must-buy for anyone who wants the very best for their kitty.
- Without by-products or meal, this cat food will not put any unnecessary strain on your cat’s digestive system.
- With a premium quality recipe comes a premium price - be expected to pay more for this than other cat foods.
- With a soupy texture and a strong smell, some cat owners have reported that their cat will refuse AvoDerm.
Best Cat Food For Shedding Buying Guide
As we have seen, there are a few brands of cat food currently available on the market. However, there are certain essentials that a cat food must have if your cat is going to get the most out of it in terms of health, digestion and immune system.
Make Sure It Has The Best Quality Ingredients
There should be a few varieties of protein in your wet cat food to ensure that their muscle building and repair capabilities are operating at maximum. If your cat gets cuts and scrapes from falling or fighting with other cats on the block, you’ll want to make sure that their protein levels are high to ensure quick repair.
You’ll want to avoid cat foods with artificial flavors, meat meal, starches and fillers, as they really won’t be sufficient in giving your cat a balanced diet and may lead to excessive shedding as your cat lacks certain essential vitamins.
Say No To Artificial Flavors In Your Cat Food
Taking short cuts when it comes to cat food will only negatively affect your cat in the long run as its body simply won’t be getting the vitamins and minerals provided by top quality cat food.
You don’t have to pay through the nose for quality wet or dry food, but if you go for the bottom of the bargain bin stuff, you can guarantee that your cat's health will suffer in the long term.
Avoid substances like corn, soy and wheat, as these are simply filler to pad out the quantity of your product.
It’s Quality Not Quantity That Counts
When purchasing cat food, especially wet cat food, the small tins are better for your cat than the larger ones, as the larger cans tend to come with meal or filler to hoodwink you into thinking you’re getting more for your money.
Cans of cat food will keep fresh for a very long time, so we recommend that you buy more small tins rather than a few bigger tins. If you have a hefty kitty then you can always double up if you think they aren’t getting enough dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Minimize Hair Loss On My Cat?
These are a few ways you can reduce hair loss on your furry feline friend:
- Feeding it high-quality cat food.
- Regular grooming with a soft-bristled brush.
- Bathing every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Make sure your cat gets plenty of Omega fatty acids in its diet.
- Ensure that your cat has clean drinking water.
- Keep your cat on a regular flea control treatment. Frequently check for redness, soreness and rashes on your cat. Also, monitor your cat to see if it itches regularly.
What Do I Need To Look For On The Label Of Quality Cat Food?
You’ll want to make sure that your cat is getting a high dose of protein, as this will affect the quality of its fur. To reduce shedding, look for cat food that contains at least 45% protein.
Omega-3 and omega-6 will play an important part in the luster and health of the coat and reduce the shedding process.
Check the label to see if it includes cold-water fish oils as one of its ingredients. Fish contains vitamins C and E as well as bioflavonoids, antioxidants such as beta-carotene, selenium and amino acids, all of which promote healthy skin and fur growth.