Cats as well as humans can suffer from diarrhea from time to time, especially as they get older and become more susceptible to conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease. This can lead to toilet time being a particularly painful process for your kitty and can lead to further complications later on.
Although there might be no way to cure your cat of these digestive ailments - once a chronic illness has developed all cats will experience bouts of pain and diarrhea throughout their lives - you certainly can alleviate the pain and discomfort experienced by them. One of the main ways is by finding the right diet.
Finding the correct foodstuff for your feline is always tricky. Every cat has an individual preference and it is not uncommon to see cats turning their nose up at certain foods laid out for them.
So when it comes to finding a new cat food, you’ll want a brand that perfectly balances taste with nutrition, something that is easily-digestible, fortified with probiotics that increase the healthy bacteria in your cat’s gut.
You’ll also want something that has plenty of fiber and protein, which will be important for achieving those solid, healthy stools.
But what ingredients are essential for giving your cat healthy digestion? How can you avoid artificial preservatives and meal by-products that could be potentially very harmful for your cat’s stomach and bowel? How much will good cat food cost?
Well, we’re here to answer some of those nagging queries and get your feline friend back on their feet with healthy-looking excretions.
We’ve compiled a list of a few of the best cat foods for digestive health currently on the market, along with some of the do’s and don’ts for purchasing new cat food and some frequently asked questions from concerned cat owners.
Top 4 Best Cat Food for Firm Stool
OUR TOP PICK
Our first cat food is a very popular choice with cats, cat owners and veterinary clinicians, who recommend it for cats who have been brought in with stomach complaints and diarrhea.
A lot of cats who end up in the hospital are prescribed this cat food, it is safe, very easy to digest and doesn’t cause any harmful side effects - introducing Hill’s Pet Digestive Care Dry Cat Food.
There are both upsides and downsides to giving your diarrhea-stricken cat dry cat food. One of the upsides will be that dry cat food is easy to measure, which will come in handy if you are sticking to a prescribed diet regimen.
However, dry cat food can absorb a lot of the moisture in your cat’s body, most of which might have already been lost through diarrhea and vomiting. So you’ll have to make sure that your cat is getting enough water when feeding it this cat food.
Hill’s Pet Digestive Care contains a lot of healthy probiotics that will help promote healthy gut bacteria and encourage regular bowel movements that will be a lot more solid. It can be fed to both adult cats and kittens who might be experiencing bowel issues when weaning.
- This food is full of nutrients and vitamins that help alleviate some of the symptoms of stomach and bowel inflammation.
- This dry cat food can be mixed with water to create a soupy texture that will be much easier to digest for cats and kittens who have a sensitive stomach.
- The chicken component of these dry biscuits is a good source of animal protein and will boost your cat’s immune and muscle repair system.
- This cat food might be very digestible, but it does not have hypoallergenic properties and contains barley, gluten and corn which might aggravate sensitive stomachs.
Next up, we have a cat snack that has very few ingredients, but the single-source natural contents will ensure that your cat’s digestion has a natural balance and is not overexerted trying to break down by-products with few nutritional properties.
With a host of organic meat ingredients, you can be sure that your cat is getting the highest nutritional quality from its food - introducing the Ziwi Peak Canned Wet Cat Food.
The best thing about this cat food is the wild protein content. This particular flavor contains freshly caught mackerel, but you can also opt for venison, both of which are high sources of natural protein. They are also very highly digestible meats, giving your cat the protein and fiber it needs to promote muscle repair and regular digestion.
The nutrition quality in this cat food is second-to-none, containing rich sources of organic omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which will help fight GI inflammation and make sure your cat’s stools are firm and healthy.
This also doesn’t contain any harmful additives such as carrageenan, which can further inflame your cat’s bowel.
- With its emphasis on natural ingredients, this cat food really gives the cat’s body exactly what it needs to heal itself, so it won’t be relying on medication that contains potentially harmful side effects.
- Whether you choose mackerel or venison flavors, you can be assured that the quality of meat is premium and, most importantly, natural - which will give your cat’s body the necessary building blocks for repairing internal damage and reducing inflammation.
- This is an ethically-sourced product, sourcing meats from the fresh waters of New Zealand, making your cat’s diet as close to nature as possible.
- The increased omega-3 and omega-6 will boost many parts of your cat’s body including joints, muscles, digestion and skin.
- By using chickpeas as a thickening agent, this product is high on the carbohydrates, which might lead to inflammation issues, especially in the pancreas that will have to pump out insulin to counteract the high sugar production.
As we can see from the label, this next cat food is targeted at cats with digestive issues, packed full of healthy nutrients and proteins that can easily be digested, keeping your cat’s stomach in top condition.
This is a dry cat food that you might have to add water to, especially if you are feeding a cat that has difficulty chewing food - introducing Royal Canin Digestive Care Dry Cat Food.
Royal Canin is a company that is known for manufacturing medical-grade cat food, with different brands aimed at remedying specific issues. This cat food in particular has a lower carb count, which makes it easier on the stomach and won’t result in a spike in insulin.
Protein is key for muscle repair and keeping digestion regular and healthy, and Royal Canin has taken care to ensure that this cat food has a high level of quality animal proteins like chicken, combined with soy protein insulates.
- There are enough nutrients even within a small portion of this kibble, which makes it one of the more economical options, perfect for cat owners who don’t want to spend that much money.
- This has been engineered by the manufacturers for digestive cat health, so you can expect only the best in terms of quality ingredients and a texture that will go easy on your cat’s digestive tract.
- This company also has great after-purchase customer service, with a team of trained veterinary technicians to answer your cat-related queries.
- It contains a good balance of protein and fiber that will aid digestion and increase nutrition intake.
- This product is mainly aimed at adult cats, so it won’t be suitable for anyone who wants to treat their kitten.
Finally, we have a very trusted and well-known brand that has many tailored products covering a wide range of pet ailments and dietary requirements.
This particular cat food has plenty of nourishing ingredients and is free from harmful dietary elements that might affect a cat’s digestive system and cause loose bowel movements - it’s Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Natural Adult Dry Cat Food.
Using only the finest ingredients, this cat food increases mineral absorption in digestion, which results in healthy, solid stools. Blue Buffalo has gone the extra distance to ensure that your cat won’t be suffering after their dinner time. This food is also free of soy, dairy, corn as well as artificial additives and colors, all of which harm the bowel.
This cat food also contains omega-3 and omega-6, which is very good for the bones, the joints, digestion, brain, skin and coat health. This is particularly helpful for older cats who suffer with arthritis in later life.
- Blue Buffalo has ensured that this cat food is stuffed with digestible proteins that will not only be easy to absorb but will also increase your cat’s ability to repair damaged muscles and tissue.
- It has plenty of healthy nutrients and minerals that promote good digestive health, as well as being very good for the skin and fur.
- With a low carbohydrate count, this will help alleviate bowel pain during excretion and promote regular bowel movements.
- Again, this product is more specifically designed for fully grown cats only.
Best Cat Food For Firm Stool Buying Guide
If your cat is suffering from diarrhea, it is very important to isolate the causes as quickly as possible to find the most effective treatment, allowing time for switching between different cat foods as well as time for digestive recovery.
First off, it is worth highlighting the differences between different forms of diarrhea.
What Is Acute Diarrhea?
This type of loose stool only lasts a few days and is the result of a minor irritation in the bowel, usually caused by an irritant or an illness. Your cat might develop acute diarrhea after eating a cat food that does not agree with them.
A cat suffering from acute diarrhea doesn’t necessarily need a switch in diet, you simply wait for their stool to return to normal and then switch back to their regular kibble.
Here are a few tips for dealing with acute diarrhea:
- Don’t feed your cat for 12 hours. This will give the cat’s digestive tract a break. Diarrhea reduces nutrient absorption anyway, so this fasting won’t be too harmful to your cat.
- After this, switch to a bland diet. Unseasoned salt-free cooked chicken and rice will suffice. You should only feed them this diet for a few days.
- Supplement this diet with probiotics. This will fortify the natural gut flora and hopefully bring the intestinal functions back to normal.
What Is Chronic Diarrhea?
This type of diarrhea occurs intermittently for a few weeks and can require significant changes to a cat’s diet. Once seen by a vet, they will often determine that the cat has a ‘sensitive stomach’. This diagnosis could be the result of many things, including allergies, food intolerances or IBD.
Here are a few tips for feeding a cat with chronic diarrhea:
- Strip down your cat’s diet so you can identify any allergies or sensitivities. Certain ingredients may have triggered your cat’s sensitivities and the only way to determine these will be to eliminate them.
- Feed the cat a simple, carnivorous diet of muscle meat and organs, such as chicken, pork and turkey.
- Fortify your cat’s gut microbiome by supplementing its diet with probiotics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Cat Have Constant Diarrhea?
There could be many reasons why your cat has a particularly upset stomach and loose stools. Some of the causes are mild, whereas others will require serious medical attention.
It is impossible to watch your cat 24/7, but you can help alleviate recurring symptoms by switching cat food and introducing a more balanced diet of nutrients and vitamins, as well as keeping your pet well hydrated.
Here are some of the things that could be causing your cat to become unwell:
- A bacterial infection
- Undiagnosed cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- A change in diet
- Intolerances to dairy, grass or chocolate
- Intestinal parasites