It can be worrying when your cat has been diagnosed with diabetes - but don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world.
With a little careful management of your cat’s diet, you should be able to keep your cat living healthy and happy for many years to come.
Feline diabetes is closely linked with obesity, with the vast majority of feline diabetes being similar to type 2 which can occur in humans.
The good thing about this is that it means your cat’s diabetes will be easily managed by making a few changes to its diet - and could even go into remission if managed properly.
So if getting the right food is important to help manage your beloved fur ball’s new condition, how do you know you’re getting the best cat food for diabetic cats?
We’ve done all the hard work so that you don’t have to, and searched to find the best cat food to help your cat get the proper nutrition they need.
It’s also important to remember that you should consult with your vet to ensure that you’re getting the best food for your diabetic cat.
In a hurry? Take a look at our top pick below!
Top 5 Best Cat Food for Diabetic Cats
OUR TOP PICK
Purina Pro Plan canned wet food contains several key nutrients so as to help you better maintain your cat’s diet, encouraging a strong immune system and a healthy weight.
Chicken is the number one ingredient, so you can rest assured that your cat is getting the best nutrition rather than something packed full of unhealthy synthetic foods.
Purina Pro Plan uses a unique blend that has been proven to improve and extend the life of your cat over the age of 7.
Packed full of protein to give your cat all the nutrition it needs. Wet food also has the added benefit of extra hydration.
This wet food is grain-free to give your cat the healthy balanced diet it needs; cats are unable to process foods with grains in as effectively as humans.
- High protein content to give your cat a nutritionally balanced diet.
- Contains several key nutrients to promote a healthy diet and help to maintain a healthy weight.
- Uses a unique blend to help improve and extend your cat’s life expectancy.
- Pro Plan uses science-based research so as to offer your cat the best nutrition possible.
- All Pro Plan foods are produced in the United States and only use real poultry.
- Some cats that are used to eating dry food may initially turn their nose up at being offered a wet food alternative.
Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food uses a special formula based on scientific research so as to give your cat the proper nutrition it needs to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Food is specifically designed not to raise blood sugar directly after a meal, and Hill’s won’t change its ingredients - so you can rest assured that your cat is consistently getting the help it needs with this chosen food.
The Science Diet cat food provides long-lasting support to keep your cat at a healthy weight, and in turn, helps to maintain their diabetes. Over 70% of cats lose weight within 10 weeks of eating Hill’s Science Diet dry cat food.
Made in the USA, you can rest assured that your cat is getting the best food using only the best ingredients.
This particular dry food contains a high 40% protein content, giving your cat the essential nutrients they need to stay in tip-top condition.
- Recommended by vets to help decrease your cat’s weight.
- Hill’s won’t change the formula, so you can rest assured your cat is eating the same food every time.
- 40% protein content.
- Based on scientific research to give your cat the nutrition it needs.
- Made in the USA using only the finest ingredients.
- You may need to slowly transition your cat from their usual food to this food to ensure they get used to eating it.
Cats are carnivores, not omnivores, so need a protein-rich diet in order to get the right nutrients. Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry cat food is made using real chicken, giving it a high protein content.
BLUE’s Wilderness dry cat food helps to build and maintain lean muscle mass so that your cat can stay healthy.
Uses BLUE’s unique LifeSource Bits formula - a blend of essential vitamins and minerals to ensure that your cat is getting the right nutrition.
Only uses natural ingredients to produce the best quality feed for your cat.
BLUE Buffalo Wilderness cat food is grain-free to aid with digestion.
- Made using only real, natural ingredients.
- Recommended by vets across the USA.
- High protein content to give your cat the right nutrients.
- Helps promote and maintain lean muscle mass, as well as offering immune system support.
- Helps to maintain a healthy coat and skin.
- A few customers found that their cats had difficulty transitioning to this food from their usual diet.
Hill’s Science Diet canned wet food has a high protein content to maintain lean muscle and a healthy lifestyle.
This particular cat food is highly recommended by vets, so you can rest assured that you’re investing in the best possible feed for your beloved furballs.
The canned wet cat food is made in the USA using ingredients of the highest quality.
Wet cat food helps promote hydration, which is extremely helpful for cats that are less likely to drink regularly.
This will be particularly helpful for diabetic cats, as the glucose in cat urine drags water out of the body, meaning they will need to stay hydrated.
Choose between three great flavors to entice your kitty to the food bowl.
- Uses high-quality protein to give your cat sustenance.
- Comes in three flavors to give your cat more choice.
- Contains only the finest ingredients and is made in the USA.
- Helps keep your cat hydrated throughout the day.
- Highly recommended by vets.
- A few customers found the meaty chunks to be a little big for their cats to eat comfortably.
Purina Veterinary Diets DM dietetic management dry cat food contains a high protein content and is low in carbohydrates, which is just the thing you should look for to help your diabetic cat.
This particular food has been specifically designed with diabetic cats in mind - so you’ll know that your kitty is getting the right food for its needs.
Includes essential vitamins such as omega-3 and omega-6 to give your cat the right nutrition.
Purina dietetic management dry food comes highly recommended by vets in the USA.
The dry cat food comes as small kibble, making it easy for your cats to eat as needed, and they won’t have difficulty chewing on large bits of food.
- Specifically designed for diabetic cats.
- Recommended by vets.
- Contains a high protein and low carbohydrate content.
- Uses a variety of essential vitamins and minerals to promote a healthy diet.
- Some customers found this food helped their cats to lose weight.
- Pricier than some of the alternatives we found.
Best Cat Food For Shedding Buying Guide
As we have seen, there are a few brands of cat food currently available on the market.
However, there are certain essentials that a cat food must have if your cat is going to get the most out of it in terms of health, digestion and immune system.
Make Sure It Has The Best Quality Ingredients
There should be a few varieties of protein in your wet cat food to ensure that their muscle building and repair capabilities are operating at maximum.
If your cat gets cuts and scrapes from falling or fighting with other cats on the block, you’ll want to make sure that their protein levels are high to ensure quick repair.
You’ll want to avoid cat foods with artificial flavors, meat meal, starches and fillers, as they really won’t be sufficient in giving your cat a balanced diet and may lead to excessive shedding as your cat lacks certain essential vitamins.
Say No To Artificial Flavors In Your Cat Food
Taking short cuts when it comes to cat food will only negatively affect your cat in the long run as its body simply won’t be getting the vitamins and minerals provided by top quality cat food.
You don’t have to pay through the nose for quality wet or dry food, but if you go for the bottom of the bargain bin stuff, you can guarantee that your cat's health will suffer in the long term.
Avoid substances like corn, soy and wheat, as these are simply filler to pad out the quantity of your product.
It’s Quality Not Quantity That Counts
When purchasing cat food, especially wet cat food, the small tins are better for your cat than the larger ones, as the larger cans tend to come with meal or filler to hoodwink you into thinking you’re getting more for your money.
Cans of cat food will keep fresh for a very long time, so we recommend that you buy more small tins rather than a few bigger tins. If you have a hefty kitty then you can always double up if you think they aren’t getting enough dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Minimize Hair Loss On My Cat?
These are a few ways you can reduce hair loss on your furry feline friend:
- Feeding it high-quality cat food.
- Regular grooming with a soft-bristled brush.
- Bathing every 2 to 4 weeks.
- Make sure your cat gets plenty of Omega fatty acids in its diet.
- Ensure that your cat has clean drinking water.
- Keep your cat on a regular flea control treatment. Frequently check for redness, soreness and rashes on your cat. Also, monitor your cat to see if it itches regularly.
What Do I Need To Look For On The Label Of Quality Cat Food?
You’ll want to make sure that your cat is getting a high dose of protein, as this will affect the quality of its fur. To reduce shedding, look for cat food that contains at least 45% protein.
Omega-3 and omega-6 will play an important part in the luster and health of the coat and reduce the shedding process.
Check the label to see if it includes cold-water fish oils as one of its ingredients.
Fish contains vitamins C and E as well as bioflavonoids, antioxidants such as beta-carotene, selenium and amino acids, all of which promote healthy skin and fur growth.