Fleas are one of the most commonly found parasites on cats, so don't be worried if your cat happens to stroll in one day sporting these unwanted guests in their fur coat.
These fleas can be particularly irritating and uncomfortable for your cat so it is important to deal with this issue as soon as possible.
The market offers many different variations of cat flea shampoos. Before selecting your product you will need to ensure that it is right for your cat. Narrowing the selection down to a singular option can be difficult.
However, you needn't worry as we have done the hard work for you. We have browsed the market for our top five picks of the best cat flea shampoos available. Below, we have also included a handy buyer's guide containing our top tips for selecting the right product for your cat.
Top 5 Best Cat Flea Shampoo
OUR TOP PICK
Containing natural ingredients including the natural insecticide pyrethrum, the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea and Tick Shampoo has been specifically formulated to control the presence of fleas and ticks in your cat's coat.
Fleas can often be irritating, however, this shampoo is soap and paraben-free with the intention of soothing these irritations without the use of any harsh and damaging ingredients.
As a flea and tick shampoo, it should not be used regularly, in fact, it shouldn’t be used more than once in 7 days. Application is fairly simple, the ingredients develop into a lather once applied to a wet coat.
To achieve the best results, it is recommended to leave this product in your pet's fur for around 5 to 10 minutes as this will allow it to work deeply into the skin to eliminate the presence of any fleas.
- Retailing at an affordable price, this is an ideal choice for cat owners on a budget.
- Coming in a 16-ounce bottle, this shampoo is likely to see you through many uses.
- Impressively, this shampoo is safe for use on the coats of kittens aged 12 weeks and onwards.
- This shampoo doesn't have an overwhelming or particularly off-putting scent.
- The ingredients are paraben and soap-free which reduces the likeliness of irritations developing.
- Unfortunately, this shampoo doesn't always achieve immediate results.
Adams Flea and tick shampoo is highly sought after due to its excellent ability to remove fleas and ticks from your cat's fur.
Praised for the results achieved following the use of this shampoo, it is proven to be effective in preventing the development of fleas and ticks in 28 days.
Impressively, this shampoo is great in all areas of pest control from eggs, larvae, lice, fleas, and ticks, actively helping to prevent the occurrence of reinfestation.
If you have a cat with sensitive skin, Adams flea and tick shampoo is a great option. Containing soothing ingredients such as aloe, lanolin, coconut extract, and oatmeal, it is great for cats who aren’t receptive to stronger ingredients.
Aside from this, this product performs great as an anti-dandruff shampoo helping to soothe the skin leaving it looking soft and healthy in appearance.
- As well as being effective at treating fleas, this shampoo also helps to treat issues with dandruff.
- Available in a 24-ounce bottle, this shampoo is likely to see you through many uses before requiring replacing.
- Thanks to the contents of the ingredients, this shampoo helps to soothe irritations.
- It can safely be used on kittens and cats aged 12 weeks and older.
- Impressively, the effects of this shampoo can last for 28 days and it works to eliminate the possibility of re-infestation.
- This pet shampoo is a little pricey which may not be ideal for pet owners who are on a budget.
For some cat owners, the thought of putting their water-hating cat into a bath is a no go. Many cats find bathing a stressful experience. However, The Vet's Best Flea and Tick Waterless Shampoo is here to help.
As a waterless shampoo, it can be applied to your cat's coat without needing to be rinsed off afterward. Not only is your cat going to enjoy this new way of bathing but it is also going to consume a lot less of your time too.
Impressively, this waterless shampoo has been made with ingredients that are intended to cleanse and soothe your cat's coat while leaving it appearing conditioned, deodorized, and healthy with a fresh scent. These natural, plant-based ingredients include peppermint oil and eugenol.
- Made in the USA, you can be confident in the source of your purchase.
- This shampoo is veterinary formulated and recommended so you can be assured that it is safe for use on your pet.
- As a perfume-free shampoo, it will cleanse your cat’s coat without causing irritation.
- Ideal for cats who dislike water as it doesn't require rinsing.
- This shampoo is suitable for use on cats aged 12 weeks and upwards.
- Retailing at a slightly more expensive price, it may not be an ideal choice for pet owners on a budget.
The Zodiac Pet Products flea and tick shampoo has been formulated to control and eliminate the presence of fleas in your cat's coat. As well as pyrethrins, this shampoo also contains coconut conditioners which can help to maintain a soft and healthy coat.
As the formula is alcohol-free and PH balanced, it isn't going to irritate your cat's skin, instead, the shampoo will work to soothe the skin from potentially sores flea bites. Additionally, this shampoo has a subtle and refreshing scent, which you aren't likely to find harsh or overpowering.
Available in both a 12 and 18-ounce bottle option, you can choose the most suitable size for your needs and the severity of the flea issue that you are dealing with.
- Not only does this shampoo kill fleas but it works against ticks and lice too.
- The combination of mildly formulated ingredients leaves the coat looking visibly conditioned and healthier.
- This shampoo is suitable for cats and kittens aged 12 weeks and older.
- Available in two different sized bottles, you can select the appropriate option depending on your needs.
- With a refreshing scent, cat owners aren't likely to find this shampoo off-putting.
- While this shampoo works to kill the majority of fleas, it doesn't prevent reinfestation and is most commonly used as a short term solution.
With rich coconut conditioners, the Sentry Purrscriptions flea and tick shampoo works to kill fleas, ticks, and lice while leaving your cats coat appearing conditioned and healthy.
The combination of ingredients will add luster to your cat's coat making it much easier to groom too; an element that is likely to be favored by owners of long-haired cats in particular.
The ingredients, which include pyrethrins, work to prevent the reproduction of fleas while killing the existing eggs over a four week period.
Courtesy of the fresh coconut berry scent, not only is this cat flea shampoo going to eliminate the presence of fleas, but it is also going to leave your cat smelling fresh following application too.
- The Sentry Purrscriptions Flea and tick shampoo provides an affordable solution to getting rid of fleas.
- Thanks to the presence of coconut conditioners, this shampoo is going to make your cat's coat easier to groom too.
- With a coconut and berry scent, your cat will smell fresh after use.
- This shampoo can be used on cats aged 12 weeks and older.
- Coming in a 12 OZ bottle, this shampoo is likely to see you through many uses.
- Containing some stronger ingredients than other flea products on the market, some owners may be put off using this product.
Best Cat Flea Shampoo Buying Guide
There are many factors that you will need to consider before purchasing your cat shampoo as this will ensure that they aren't at risk of developing an adverse reaction. From the brand to the contents, to your cat's skin type there are many factors involved in selecting the appropriate flea shampoo for your cat.
We have outlined several of our top tips below to help you to select the best product.
Aside from regular cat shampoos, the market also offers shampoo products that are great for any water detesting felines. Waterless shampoos can be directly applied to your cat's coat and left to absorb without needing to be rinsed off afterward.
While this may not appeal to all cat owners, it is a particularly viable option for owners who often encounter a battle with their cat when it comes to bath time. These are typically available in spray or pump bottles which allow for easy, stress-free application.
Cat shampoos can be identified in three different categories with an option available to suit different skin and fur types. The first is natural shampoos that typically have chemical contents that are derived from natural ingredients. The second is organic shampoos which mainly use essential oils and natural organic ingredients. The final is a chemical-based shampoo that is most suited to severe flea conditions.
It is important to pay attention to the regularity in which the product can be applied.
Overusing a cat shampoo may have negative impacts on their fur and skin. The packaging typically states the recommended amount of times that the product should be used on either a daily or weekly basis.
Size of the Bottle
Bottles of cat shampoo are available in different sizes. Some will be larger than others.
It is important to select the shampoo that is going to accommodate the severity of the flea condition that you are dealing with.
The scent of the shampoo can vary between products, some may have a particularly prominent scent while others are scent-free. While it is nice to have a fresh-smelling cat following bath time, you will need to ensure that any scents or fragrances used are suitable for their skin type.
Stronger scents may result in irritations and as the owner, you may find it a little overpowering too.
Quality of the ingredients
Ideally, it is recommended to opt for a shampoo that is free of harsh chemicals, alcohol, parabens, and soaps as this will eliminate the risk of any adverse reactions developing.
Natural ingredients are preferable and effective in treating fleas unless you are dealing with a more severe issue that requires the use of a chemical-based shampoo which is safe for use on your cat.
Most cat flea shampoos tend to be pretty affordable.
Although there may be slight differences in the price depending on the brand that you shop with. There are many affordable shampoos available that are effective in killing fleas.
Age of your cat
It is important to check that the shampoo that you choose is suitable for your cat or kitten.
Most products are safe for use on cats and kittens aged 12 weeks and older. The label of the shampoo that you select will state the age of the cat that this shampoo is suitable for.
Frequently Asked questions
How long do flea shampoos take to work?
You can generally expect to wait around 48 hours following application of the shampoo before noticing results.
This may differ depending on the brand and the type of shampoo that you use.
Is dog flea shampoo safe for use on cats?
Unless stated on the packaging dog flea shampoo should not be used on your cat as it can have harmful consequences. A shampoo that contains the wrong insecticide can have dangerous effects on your cat.
However, there are some shampoos available that are suitable for both cats and dogs. Before selecting your shampoo it is important to thoroughly check the labels beforehand to check that it is safe.
How does flea shampoo work?
Flea shampoos contain active ingredients that essentially work to remove the presence of fleas from your pet's coat. Flea treatment products typically work in one of the two following ways.
They either work by repelling fleas helping to prevent any reinfestation or they work by killing the fleas immediately following application.